FAQ MOLD GEL 1
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Mildew is usually a thin dusting of a black, grey, or (rarely) white growth, appearing on fabric, upholstery and occasionally walls. Mildew is a type of mold, which in turn is a category covering a very small kind of fungi. Indoors, grey-black powdery mildew is the most commonly encountered kind of growth and is easily recognizable.
Mildew thrives on warm and damp surfaces. A lack of ventilation and low lighting in a heated, humid home makes a paradise for mildew, but in general it’s most common in bathrooms and kitchens. It is important to try and keep all bathtubs and sinks free of mold!
Mold needs to consume something to survive, and it’s perfectly happy eating your house if you let it. Some molds and mildews are fond of the cellulose in the paper backing on drywall, insulation and wallpaper. Others have a big appetite for the glues used to bond carpet to its backing. Left unchecked, mold eventually destroys the parts of the drywall, wallpaper and carpet it attacks.
But many molds just like to feast on the every day dust and dirt that gather in the perpetually moist regions of your house. They won’t destroy your house, but they can sure make it look, feel and smell bad. It creates the smell we often refer to as “musty.” This can be slippery and dangerous when it grows on areas that we walk on (ie. floor and stairs).
Inhaling mold fragments or spores can inflame the airways, causing nasal congestion, wheezing, chest tightness, coughing and throat irritation. Prolonged exposure to high levels of indoor dampness can reduce lung function and cause chronic health problems such as asthma.